A consortium of young, energetic and adept hockey players, national as well as international, DWR is known for its team of spirited players. Having achieved two consecutive victories in Hockey India League in the year 2013 and 2014, the team is enjoying a broadened horizon.
Now, some of the most-competent and best-performing players of DWR have been selected in their respective National Teams at Rio Olympics 2016.
The 7 players of DWR who have been taken aboard for the big competition, are all those who have outperformed everyone in the games they have played in our team so far.
Have a look on the brief personalia of the selected players:
- The captain of DWR.
- Born: April 16, 1988, Auckland, New Zealand
- Hails from New Zealand.
- Has grabbed ample recognition for his brilliant work at competitions such as, 2006 World Cup (Germany), 2012 Olympic Games (London) and more.
- Swift defender from Punjab.
- Born: November 11, 1990, Faridkot, Punjab
- Also the vice-captain of the team.
- Represented India at the Commonwealth Games 2014 in Glasgow, among other competitions.
- Young midfielder from Haryana.
- Born: November 23, 1993, Haryana
- Has swanked his immense enthusiasm and great skill at several competitions.
- Our amazing Australian defender.
- Born: July 11, 1990, Australia
- Has played numerous games, also, won the Gold medal at the 2014 Commonwealth Games.
- British forwarder.
- Born: January 5, 1984, Belfast, Northern Ireland
- Has impressed many with his admirable performances at various games, the most noteworthy- the commonwealth Games 2014, where his British team took home Bronze.
- Our awesome goalkeeper from New Zealand.
- Born: November 11, 1989, Auckland
- Has displayed his impressive hockey skills in the Commonwealth Games 2014, and other competitions.
- Canadian midfielder
- Born: June 18, 1987, Canada
- The youngest player in the team.
- Has shown his talent to the world at competitions like, Beijing 2008 Olympic Summer Games, three different Commonwealth Games and more.
It is on the strength of their sheer dedication to the game and the spellbinding performances they have been delivering in the DWR team, that our brilliant players have gained this fortunate chance at the popular Rio Olympics 2016. Our proud players have exhibited their remarkable talent, training and performances time and again, with the support, guidance and encouragement from our coach along with the cordial relationship within the team.
With this grand opportunity, the bar has raised for the players. The expectations will be high and so will be the pressure to perform. The players will have to go the extra mile and prove their mettle at the field. Right from rigorous training to tight schedule and high stress yet a lot of excitement, there’s going to be a lot of adrenaline rush for hockey-fanatics.
The Rio Olympics commence on 6th August, 2016, when India plays against Ireland first. On 8th, our team competes with Germany. On the 9th, it’s India v/s Argentina. On 11th, we battle against Netherlands and, on the 12th, India faces Canada to make its way to the quarter finals and so forth.
As the tagline of DWR goes- ‘Rok Sako Toh Rok Lo’, our players look all confident and pepped-up for the upcoming battles. So, here we wish our entire Indian Hockey Team at Rio all the strength and luck! May the hope-carriers bring home victory, glory and cheer!